Sunday, January 18, 2009

Porcupine Meatballs

A yummy and easy recipe using ingredients you probably already have!

1 can tomato soup
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup uncooked instant rice
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 tsp. salt
2 tbs. oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Lightly beat egg with a fork, then add a heaping tablespoon of the soup and mix lightly.
Mix in rice, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Stir in the ground beef and mix well with hands. (I put mine in a Ziploc bag so I didn't have to touch raw meat!)
Form mixture into 1 1/2 inch round meatballs.
Coat a large skillet over medium heat with oil. (I just used cooking spray)
Cook meatballs and brown on all sides.
Combine remaining soup with Worcestershire. Stir until smooth, then spoon over meatballs.
Cover with lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

*I think I would almost double the sauce since we are saucy people, and we served this over rice, so we like to have more sauce for our rice. Also because while simmering, I pretty much burnt my sauce to the bottom of the pan, so there wasn't much left. Watch it closely!
I also didn't have an onion on hand so I used a little less than a tablespoon of onion powder.

No comments: