Friday, October 10, 2008

Apple Cider Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


I found this recipe on the Good Things Utah website. I haven't tried them yet, but they sounded so yummy and fall-ish, I thought I'd post it. I plan on making them as soon as I can go down and get some delicious apple cider from the Big Red Barn in Santaquin.


Apple Cider Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Recipe prepared by Kelsey Nixon, Kelsey's Kitchen

Yield: 20 - 24 cupcakes

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 egg
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 cups apple cider (Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe below)

    Make the cupcakes:

    Heat an oven to 350° F.

    In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until it is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

    Add the egg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix well to combine, about 1 minute.

    Add the flour in 3 batches and the cider in 2 batches, alternating between the two and starting and ending with the flour.

    Pour the batter into lined muffin pans; fill the cups about 3⁄4 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes; a toothpick should come out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.

    Frosting:

  • 2 cups apple cider
  • 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits and softened
  • 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar

    In a saucepan boil the cider until it is reduced to about 1/4 cup and let it cool. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together the cream cheese, the confectioners' sugar, the reduced cider, and a pinch of salt until the icing is smooth.

    Spread each cupcake with some of the icing.

  • 1 comment:

    Nichole W. said...

    Hmmm. So I made these tonight and they weren't as great as I had hoped. They didn't rise well and fell apart really easily...I don't know if that was just me or the recipe. They tasted good, though. The frosting was a little weird, too, and a little goes a long way as far as taste goes. I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on the frosting and I enjoyed them more that way. So overall, not great, but not bad.